Real Estate Traits Agents Must Have In 2023
Top 10 Traits
- Experience and expertise: A good real estate agent should have as much experience and expertise as possible in the local real estate market, including knowledge of current market conditions, property values, and trends. We recommend if you are going into the industry try and work in the area and sell in the area you live in. This adds so much credibility to you as a real estate source and being part of that community is so powerful. Agents should also be knowledgeable about the legal and financial aspects of buying or selling a property, but it will benefit you enormously being across the Office of Fair Trading licence commitments as well.
Note: Agents aren’t expected to be mortgage brokers or solicitors but having connections with those experts is highly regarded. However, being up to date on relevant laws and regulations can be a good thing.
- Communication skills: A good real estate agent should have excellent communication skills, including the ability to listen to their clients’ needs and communicate clearly and effectively with them. They should be able to explain complex terms and concepts in a way that is easy to understand for their clients.
Want more information? See our other blogs from December 2022, July 2022 – Characteristics of an agent and property manager).
- Professionalism: real estate agents should act professionally at all times, treating their clients with respect and honesty, and maintaining a high level of integrity in their dealings is critical. This includes being punctual, dressing appropriately, and maintaining a positive attitude.
- Availability and responsiveness: Successful real estate professionals should be available and responsive to their clients’ needs, including being available to answer questions, provide information, and address concerns in a timely manner.
- Marketing and networking skills: You don’t need a social media or marketing qualification. However, you should have some awareness around the marketing and social media aspects of the industry. Knowing you way around Instagram and Facebook is well regarded, but these days LinkedIn and other web portals are essential learning skills. Also having effective networking skills to promote your clients’ properties and connect with potential buyers or sellers like buyers’ agents and investors can be very useful. So contacts with financial planners, wealth creators and accountants can be well regarded.
- Negotiation skills: They should be able to advocate for their clients’ interests while maintaining good relationships with other parties involved in the transaction. You need strong negotiation skills, including the ability to negotiate effectively on behalf of their clients to achieve the best possible outcome. But don’t worry, there is no correct or incorrect way to do this but you should be aware there are some known basics to be aware about. (More reading Blog Section). Another good method we recommend – be a sponge, learn and hear what other people do and the techniques they may adopt. TED talks and LinkedIn offer free courses in the area. But connecting with various networking real estate and property groups and lead agents is also a great way to hear what’s working on the street, and the language strong negotiators use to have successful outcomes.
- Attention to detail: Agents need to be detail-oriented, ensuring that all necessary paperwork and documentation are completed accurately and on time. This is a must as we are a very time-driven industry, and our documents are legally binding so be prepared to be good at proofreading things and having good checklists in place.
- Empathy and understanding: A good real estate agent should have empathy and understanding for their clients’ needs, including their financial and personal circumstances, and should be able to provide support and guidance throughout the buying or selling process.
- Client focus: A good real estate agent should be client-focused and able to provide personalized service to meet their clients’ needs. They should be responsive, attentive, and able to anticipate and address their clients’ concerns.
- Marketing expertise: A good real estate agent should have strong marketing skills to help their clients sell their property quickly and for the best price. They should be able to create effective marketing materials and utilize various channels to reach potential buyers.
Want more information on getting into the industry call us on (07) 3193 5270 for a FREE no obligation consultation. Or email email@example.com for more information.