How to Write a Real Estate Resume And Cover Letter
Your Step-by-Step Guide
Validum is all about being able to create opportunities for its graduates and going above and beyond is what sets our training apart in the world of real estate. We genuinely care about a successful pathway for our students once they finish their course. One of the biggest questions we get asked after students finish our course is how do you write a good resume or CV or cover letter.
So, recognising that candidates new to the industry could have exceptional and transferable skills sets that they can explore with a future employer is something we hope our students can showcase. No one can guarantee candidates a job but it’s important that you know how to present to the industry.
Here are some tips to assist as you navigate these choppy waters of the real estate world.
How to Write a resume for a real estate position:
Writing a resume for a real estate position requires careful attention to detail and a focus on showcasing your relevant skills, experience, and qualifications.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you create an effective real estate resume:
- Choose the Right Resume Format: Reverse Chronological: This format is ideal for most real estate positions, as it highlights your work experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job.
- Contact Information: Include your full name, phone number, email address, and LinkedIn profile (if applicable). Make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Resume Summary or Objective (Optional): Write a summary or objective statement that highlights your career goals and what you bring to the real estate role. Focus on your key skills and achievements.
- Professional Experience: List your relevant work experience in reverse chronological order. Include the following details for each position:
Job title and company name.
Dates of employment (month and year).
Location (city and state).
Responsibilities and achievements. Use bullet points to emphasize your key contributions, such as sales achievements, client relationships, and specific real estate transactions.
Tailor your descriptions to match the requirements of the real estate position you’re applying for.
- Real Estate Skills: Create a separate section to highlight your real estate-specific skills. Include skills such as market analysis, property valuation, negotiation, client relationship management, contract negotiation, and any software or tools you’re proficient in (e.g., MLS software, CRM systems).
- Education: Include your educational background, starting with the most recent degree. List the degree earned, institution name, graduation date, and any relevant certifications.
- Real Estate Certifications and Licenses: Highlight any real estate certifications, licenses, or memberships in professional organizations. This can include a real estate agent or broker license, Industry body membership, or certifications.
- Achievements and Awards (Optional): you want to flatter your potential employers so showcase your accolades. If you’ve received any awards or recognition in your real estate career or another industry, mention them in a separate section to draw attention to your accomplishments.
- Additional Sections (Optional): Depending on your background, you may want to include sections like “Languages,” “Publications,” “References,” or “Professional Development.”
- Formatting and Style:
– Use a clean, professional font (e.g., Arial or Calibri) and ensure a consistent formatting style throughout the resume.- Keep your resume to 1-2 pages in length. Be concise and avoid overly long paragraphs.
– Use bullet points for clarity and readability.
– Proofread your resume carefully to eliminate any spelling or grammatical errors.
- Tailor Your Resume: Customize your resume for each job application. Highlight the skills and experiences that align with the specific real estate position you’re applying for.
- Include a Cover Letter. Consider attaching a well-written cover letter that further explains your interest in the real estate role and how your skills and experience make you a strong candidate. We have also listed below a template on how to write a good cover letter as well (refer to Cover Letter section).
- References (Available Upon Request): Instead of listing references on your resume, mention that they are available upon request.
Remember that your resume is a marketing tool, so it should effectively showcase your qualifications and convince the employer that you’re the right fit for the real estate position. Make sure to keep it updated and relevant to maximize your chances of landing your desired job in the real estate industry.
Writing a Cover Letter
Writing a cover letter for a real estate position requires careful attention to detail and a clear demonstration of your qualifications, skills, and enthusiasm for the role.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to write an effective real estate position cover letter:
Include your contact information at the top of the page, including your full name, address, phone number, and email address. Follow this with the date of writing.
If you have it, address the letter to a specific person. If not, use a general salutation like “Dear Hiring Manager.”
Start with a strong and engaging opening sentence that immediately grabs the reader’s attention.
Mention the specific position you’re applying for and where you found the job posting. This shows that you’ve done your research.
Express your enthusiasm for the position and the company. Explain why you are interested in working in real estate and with this particular organisation.
Highlight your relevant skills and qualifications. Focus on the aspects of your experience that directly relate to the real estate position you’re applying for.
Provide specific examples of your achievements and experiences. Use quantifiable results where possible (e.g., “I successfully closed 20 real estate transactions in the last year”).
Mention any relevant certifications or licenses you hold, such as a real estate license.
Explain how your skills and experience make you a great fit for the company’s needs. Show that you understand the specific requirements of the job.
Demonstrate your knowledge of the real estate market in the area where you’re applying. Mention any local expertise or connections you have.
If you’re switching careers or industries, briefly explain why and how your previous experiences can benefit your real estate career.
Express your eagerness to discuss your qualifications further in an interview.
Thank the employer for considering your application.
Provide your contact information once again and mention your availability for an interview.
Closing: Use a professional closing like “Sincerely” or “Best regards.”
Sign your name in ink above your typed name if you are submitting a hard copy. For digital submissions, a typed name is sufficient.
Formatting: Keep the letter concise, typically one page in length. Use a professional font and formatting style. Ensure the letter is free of grammar and spelling errors. Use bullet points or short paragraphs for readability.
Customize: Tailor your cover letter for each application. Highlight the specific skills and qualifications that match the job description.
Proofread and Edit: Carefully review your cover letter for errors and clarity. Consider asking a trusted friend or mentor to review it as well.
Remember that your cover letter should complement your resume, not duplicate it. Use the cover letter to tell a story about your qualifications and why you’re the best fit for the real estate position. Good luck with your application!
Example Template – Real Estate Position Cover Letter
Sample cover letter for a real estate agent position that you can use as a template. Be sure to customize it to match your specific qualifications and the job you’re applying for.
This cover letter template is a starting point. Customize it to fit your own experiences and qualifications, and ensure it is well-tailored to the specific real estate agent position you are applying for.
[City, State, Postcode]
[Your Email Address]
[Your Phone Number]
[Recipient’s Name] [Recipient’s Title]
[Real Estate Company Name]
[City, State, Postcode]
Dear [Recipient’s Name],
I am writing to express my strong interest in the real estate agent position at [Real Estate Company Name], as advertised on [where you found the job posting]. With a passion for real estate and a proven track record of successfully helping clients achieve their property goals, I am excited about the opportunity to join your dynamic team.
In my previous role at [Previous Real Estate Company], I consistently demonstrated my ability to provide exceptional client service and drive results. Some of my key achievements include:
Facilitating the purchase and sale of over 30 properties, resulting in [mention specific revenue or profit increase].
Conducting thorough market research to provide clients with accurate property valuations and market trends.
Collaborating with lenders, inspectors, and legal teams to ensure smooth and efficient transactions.
Building and maintaining a strong network of clients through referrals and exceptional customer service.
I am particularly impressed with [Real Estate Company Name]’s commitment to innovation, integrity, and excellence in the real estate industry. Your reputation for [mention specific company values or achievements] aligns perfectly with my own professional values and aspirations.
My real estate license, strong negotiation skills, and in-depth knowledge of the [mention local market or area] market make me an asset to your team. I am confident that my dedication to client satisfaction and my ability to navigate complex transactions would contribute to the continued success of [Real Estate Company Name].
I am eager to discuss how my experience and skills can benefit [Real Estate Company Name] further in person. Please find my resume attached for your review. I am available at your convenience for an interview and can be reached at [Your Phone Number] or via email at [Your Email Address].
Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you about how I can contribute to the continued growth and success of [Real Estate Company Name].
Sincerely, [Your Name]
Resume Template for a Real Estate Role/Job
[City, State, Postcode]
[Your Email Address]
[Your Phone Number]
[LinkedIn Profile (if applicable)]
Dedicated and results-oriented real estate professional with [X years] of experience in residential and commercial real estate transactions. Seeking to leverage my expertise in [mention specific areas like property sales, leasing, property management, etc.] to contribute to the success of [Company Name] as a [Real Estate Job Title].
[Dates of Employment]
List your key responsibilities and achievements in bullet point format.
– Highlight your successful real estate transactions, client relationships, and any specific accomplishments.
– Mention your ability to conduct market research, negotiate deals, and ensure legal compliance.
[Dates of Employment]
Use bullet points to describe your responsibilities and accomplishments.
– Emphasize your role in achieving sales targets, closing deals, or managing properties effectively.
– Include any relevant certifications or licenses (e.g., real estate license) you hold.
[Bachelor’s/Master’s] Degree in
– Include any relevant coursework or academic achievements.
– Mention any real estate-related certifications or courses you’ve completed.
– Real Estate Sales and Leasing
– Property Management
– Market Analysis and Research
– Contract Negotiation
– Client Relationship Management
– Real Estate Software (e.g., MLS, CRM)
– Legal and Compliance Knowledge
– Excellent Communication Skills
– Problem-Solving and Decision-Making
– Attention to Detail
[Any other relevant professional memberships]
References: Available upon request.
Contact Validum for a confidential chat about your experience, goals and potential job opportunities, 1800 848 911.