How to Become a Real Estate Agent in Queensland: Everything You Need to Know
Congratulations, you’ve decided to enter the exciting world of real estate!
Don’t worry if you don’t know where to start. In this blog, we’ll explain every step you need to take in order to become a real estate agent in Queensland!
Step 1: Check that You’re Eligible to Become an Agent
To become a real estate agent, property manager or agency administrator in Queensland the first thing you need to do is obtain your Registration Certificate.
Most people will have no problems getting their Registration Certificate. However, there are a few personal circumstances that can stand between you and a successful application (age at time of application, criminal history, and insolvency history).
It doesn’t make sense to train without ensuring you’re eligible for the licence, so it’s a good idea to check the Queensland Government website requirements first.
Step 2: Study for Your Statement of Attainment
Your Registration Certificate application will require that you have studied for and achieved a Statement of Attainment for Units of Competency with a registered training provider (RTO).
No matter where you study, to get your Statement of Attainment you must pass the core 7 units of competency required by the Office of Fair Trading.
These units include:
- CPPDSM4008A – Identify legal and ethical requirements of property sales to complete agency work
- CPPDSM4009B – Interpret legislation to complete agency work
- CPPDSM4010A – Lease property
- CPPDSM4012A – List property for sale
- CPPDSM4015B – Minimise agency and consumer risk
- CPPDSM4022A – Sell and finalise the sale of property by private treaty
- CPPDSM4080A – Work in the real estate industry
When you study with Validum, we help ensure you’ll get through these units by:
- Clustering them into 4 items of assessment
- Giving you 6 months to pass the assessments
- Making all assessments open book, and including both theory and practical questions
- Allowing up to 3 attempts to complete your assessments
- Employing experienced real estate professionals to train you
- Keeping class sizes small so that you get the support & interaction you need
- Providing flexible learning methods including online and face-to-face interaction so that your training fits within your lifestyle
Step 3: Apply for Your Registration Certificate
Once you pass all of your units, you’ll get a Statement of Attainment. The next step in the process is to use this Statement of Attainment to apply for your Registration Certificate through the Office of Fair Trading.
Fortunately, the application paper work is only a few pages. There are application costs involved, however, and in 2016 these include:
- A one-year term registration cost ($323.00) or a three-year term registration cost ($548.90)
- A criminal history check ($39.00)
A Registration Certificate will allow you to work for a real estate agency under a licensee or real estate principal. Obtaining your Registration Certificate is the first big achievement on your path to a successful real estate career!
If you want to operate a real estate agency on your own, Validum can also help you achieve your full licence, just see Step 5 to learn how!
Step 4: Find Your Agency
Now you’re certified, you need to find a job! The good news for budding real estate agents is that, according to the Australian Government’s Job Outlook data, real estate is an industry full of opportunity for both beginners and experienced agents:
- Job openings for real estate sales agents are expected to be above average until at least November 2019.
- Employment for real estate agents rose moderately in the last five years and strongly in the last ten years. Strong industry growth is expected until at least 2020.
- There is an above average number of full-time jobs in the real estate industry.
- The unemployment for real estate agents is below average when compared to other jobs.
Step 5: Upskill
With a taste for the industry and a little experience behind you, it won’t be long before you’re discovering which parts of the job you excel at, and where you might like to go next.
At Validum Institute, we offer training not just to newcomers, but also to experienced agents who are looking to level up their industry skills, or perhaps even start their own business.
We can provide you with the training necessary to apply to be certified to:
- Manage residential and holiday resort complexes, apartment complexes, developments of townhouses or villas and tourist facilities with our Resident Letting Agent Licence Course.
- Own & manage a real estate agency, act as a principal/licensee and work as an independent contractor with our Real Estate Agent Licence Course.
We can also help you:
- Achieve an educational advantage over other candidates with our CPP40307 Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate) Course – one of the highest VET qualifications in real estate available in Queensland.
Whether you’re a real estate beginner and are enthusiastic about kick-starting your new career, or you’re an experienced agent who wants to take their skillset to the next level, Validum Institude can train you!
One of the most exciting aspects of the real estate industry is the huge opportunity for career progression – you never stop learning, and we’re here to help you make your education count towards a brighter professional future!