What course do I need to complete to start work in the real estate industry?

To work in the real estate industry in Queensland, you must as a minimum complete one of the following courses:

Registration Certificate course – successful completion of this course gives you the educational qualifications to apply to the Office of Fair Trading to be registered as a salesperson. A Registration Certificate only entitles you to work as an employee in a real estate agency.

Resident Letting Agent course – successful completion of this course gives you the educational qualifications to apply to the Office of Fair Trading to be licensed as a resident letting agent. A resident agent letting agent licence entitles you (amongst other things) to rent out or manage units in a building complex, and collect rents in the complex.

If you intend to own or manage a real estate agency or work as an independent contractor, you will need to complete our Real Estate Agent Licence course. Successful completion of this course gives you the educational qualifications to apply to the Office of Fair Trading to be licenced as a real estate agent.

What is the difference between a Registration Certificate and a Real Estate Agent Licence?

A Registration Certificate will only allow you to work as an employee of a licenced Real Estate Agent. A Real Estate Agent Licence will allow you to own or start up your own real estate agency, or work as an independent contractor to a real estate agency.

How do I enrol in a course?

Simply contact Validum Institute on 07 3193 5270 or email us at Our friendly staff and Training Consultants will provide you with all the information you need to start your real estate course, and we are always happy to assist with any queries you have.

How and when do I have to pay my course fees?

We will issue you with an invoice for your course fees when you decide to enrol with us.  Simply pay your invoice by the due date and you will receive your login details to the Validum Institute online learning portal.  You need to have fully paid your course fees before we will issue your Statement of Attainment. We accept payments by electronic bank transfer or Paypal.

Will I have to complete any assessments?

Yes, you will have to successfully complete certain assessments before you can graduate from your course.

To make our real estate courses as reflective of the real world as possible, we structure our training courses using a clustered approach to training delivery and assessment. Clustering of the Units of Competency in our real estate courses allows our training and assessment approach to reflect the role and job functions required of students in the real estate industry.

Therefore, the assessments you have to complete in each Course are clustered around Units of Competency with a similar theme or professional skillset. When you complete an assessment for a Cluster, you will have completed the assessment across multiple Units of Competency.

Our assessments are open book, self-paced, delivered off-the-job and include theory and practical assessment.

How do you assess competency?

In order to successfully complete your course, you must have completed and be assessed as competent in all your assessments.

Assessment is conducted by Validum Institute’s team of qualified trainers and assessors.

You are provided with two (2) re-assessment opportunities if you are assessed as not yet competent. In the event that your assessment is assessed as not yet competent, a trainer and assessor will contact you to provide you with feedback and support before you re-attempt your assessment.

What is a Statement of Attainment?

A Statement of Attainment is a formal certification issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) which states that a student has been assessed as competent in the Units of Competency completed by the student.

What is a qualification?

A qualification is awarded to someone who has demonstrated competence in a specified number of pre-selected individual Units of Competency. An example of a real estate qualification that Validum Institute offers is the CPP40307 Certificate IV in Property Services (Real Estate) which is made up of twenty four (24) Units of Competency.

What is an RTO?

RTOs are registered training organisations registered by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver vocational education and training (VET) services. RTOs are recognised as providers of quality-assured and nationally recognised training and qualifications.

Only RTOs can:

– deliver nationally recognised courses and accredited Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) VET qualifications; and
– apply for Australian, state and territory funding to deliver vocational education and training.

(From the Australian Skills Quality Authority website –